Re: [NOVICE] Python verison for build in config.pl (Win32)

From: James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Matt <bsg075(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Python verison for build in config.pl (Win32)
Date: 2010-01-20 21:47:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

On Jan 20, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Well, it needs the version to match it to the DLL name. For python
> 2.6, it needs python26.dll. But yes, there should probably be some way
> to ask python itself about that - that would be the non-naive method.
> But as long as python is installed per default, we got it for free,
> which is why it has "worked so far".

[on tom's question]
IIRC, the reason you can't query Python in the same way that configure/python.m4 does is because the generated Makefile that supports distutils.sysconfig does not exist in standard win32 builds. That is, AFAIK, there is no way to request the exact path of the dll/lib file in win32. However, I'm not particularly familiar with Python on win32, so that may not be the case.

Given the absence of a more precise method, I'd recommend considering something along the lines of:

Allow the user specify (config.pl?) the Python executable to build against and default to the python.exe in %PATH%. (this may already be the case, idk)

Query Python for the version information and installation prefix.

python -c 'import sys; print(str(sys.version_info[0]) + str(sys.version_info[1]))'
python -c 'import sys; print(sys.prefix)'

Assume that the prefix has a normal layout, and construct the lib path from the extracted version and prefix.