Re: bug

From: Chris <linux(dot)fellow(at)libertysurf(dot)fr>
To: Sandeep Joshi <sjoshi(at)Zambeel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug
Date: 2000-12-21 18:37:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sandeep Joshi wrote:
> 1. If I kill postmaster then if I try to restart then I get errors
> saying it is
> already running.
>
> pg_ctl start
> ps auxww | grep postmaster
> kill -9 $pid
> pg_ctl start

It is clearly written in the docs that a server MUST NOT be killed with SIGKILL,
because there's a risk of loosing datas. If you want to kill the server, use
'kill $pid' (or if you really want to specify a signal, use SIGTERM: number 15)

FYI, the signal 9 kills an app without giving her an info, so the server cannot
exit cleanly. The signal 15 was then defined in that way : is asks the app to
terminate.

hope this helped you...