Re: RE: version numbers of WinODBC

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Kovacs Zoltan Sandor <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'Joel Burton'" <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>, Pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RE: version numbers of WinODBC
Date: 2000-12-20 17:51:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> Is it possible to autogenerate the version numbers from PostgreSQL source
> configuration? I think the reason why the WinODBC driver has a separate
> version number is that it can be compiled directly using the
> src/interfaces/odbc/ directory only, so if someone wants to compile the
> DLL only, he/she can do it. By the way, if we support this (we must, of
> course), autogenerating version numbers doesn't seem to make sense, it
> must be set "by hand".

Since the cvs repository is now the "truth copy" of the code, the
standalone tarballs could be generated by a build process in
src/interfaces/odbc which explicitly finds and copies the current pgsql
version info. Once the tarball is built, then the version info travels
with the tarball. I'm not sure what the state of the standalone build is
at the moment; it used to work but I vaguely recall some discussion that
it was evil...

                     - Thomas