Re: Creating Log file - run in background.

From: Sterling <smullett(at)omeninc(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creating Log file - run in background.
Date: 2000-12-14 18:54:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

For some reason this email didn't post to the list. So I'm including it
for completeness.

H-

Ok. So the new command should look like this.

nohup /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D > >/usr/local/pgsql/data
</dev/null
>>/usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log 2>>1 &

What are the > > 's for? Are they acting as ( ) 's like in perl or some
other
language?

If so should they match? I'm getting lost in the > > and can't figure
out if the >
> is actually in the command or part of the wrapping for my window
terminal (it
stays when I resize the window so...) or from my email client when it
copies the
original post.

Thanks for all your help and replies. I just need to get up to speed on
what
you're telling me. 8^)
-Sterling