Re: RPM changes for 7.1.

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPM changes for 7.1.
Date: 2000-12-11 21:39:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Lamar Owen writes:
> > 1.) Addition of a postgresql-lib subpackage.
> What exactly will be in this one?

libpq and associated symlinks.

> One major gripe about the RPMs I have is that the client package is named
> "postgresql". If I install "postgresql" I'd sort of expect a database
> server. I suggest naming the package "postgresql-clients".

I'm actually considering removing the 'postgresql' package altogether --
and replace it with postgresql-libs, postgresql-docs, and
postgresql-psql. Not pretty, though. But I do get your point -- and
agree with it to an extent.

The postgresql-client package existed once -- and the current RPM's
Obsoletes: it. That can be changed if need be.

> > It is hard for a malicious cracker to compile cracking tools or
> > rootkits on my machine when no compiler exists on my machine.

> Why would a cracker need to compile the rootkit on your machine? He can
> just build it on his and upload it. If your intent is on making things
> inconvenient for crackers then you're missing the point.

The time I was cracked into the cracker compiled the rootkit on my box
-- libc versioning difficulties and all of older RedHat's. This was
when there were major changes between RedHat 4.x (which I was running at
the time) and RedHat 5.0, which was more popular by that time. The more
stumblingblocks I put in the cracker's way, the better I like it.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio