CURSOR HELP

From: rudy <rudy(at)heymax(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CURSOR HELP
Date: 2000-12-08 14:15:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

HELP. I apologize if this is too basic, but since I have next to zero
documentation on it I must ask... Can you declare and use a CURSOR in a
plpgsql function? The documentation I have read seems to indicate that
you can, but I have not been able to get it to work. I can get a similar
function to work in SQL from the command prompt, but not when using a
plpgsql function. Here is a snippet of code:

DECLARE recur_events_curs CURSOR FOR
SELECT time_start,
time_end
FROM CHAT_EVENT
WHERE day_of_week = v_day_of_week
AND id_resource = v_id_resource;

v_this_start_time CHAT_EVENT.time_start%TYPE;
v_this_end_time CHAT_EVENT.time_end%TYPE;

IF v_end_time <= v_start_time THEN
/* Recurring event spans two days of the week */
v_use_end_time := v_end_time + 2400;
ELSE
v_use_end_time := v_end_time;
END IF;

/* First, determine if this event overlaps any recurring events */
OPEN recur_events_curs;
LOOP
FETCH recur_events_curs INTO v_this_start_time, v_this_end_time;
EXIT WHEN recur_events_curs ISNULL;

I always get an error on the "CURSOR" during compile of function.

Thanks,

Rudy