RE: running totals

From: "Joel Burton" <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: "Chuck Kimber" <chuckk(at)ext(dot)usu(dot)edu>
Cc: Pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: running totals
Date: 2000-12-06 22:44:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

> >CREATE VIEW tape_view AS
> >SELECT id, tape_name, sum(runtime)
> >FROM tape t,
> >show s
> >WHERE t.id = s.tape_id
> >GROUP BY id, tape_name;
> >
> >Which means you can just
>
> >SELECT * FROM tape_view;
>
> Wow! This is a great idea... I had never thought of using a view
for
> this type of calculation. I always did it the hard way. Question
> though, does the VIEW keep the sum current at all times, or does
it
> just update when a query is run on the VIEW?

The view *IS* a query, really. When you SELECT from the VIEW,
you're really running a SELECT. So, no, merely updating in the the
table doesn't affect the view, only when you select from the view.

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton(at)scw(dot)org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)