Re: COPY BINARY is broken...

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY BINARY is broken...
Date: 2000-12-03 16:44:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

	I would very much like some way of writing binary data to a database.
Copy binary recently broke on me after upgrading to 7.0. I have large
simulation codes and writing lots of floats to the database by
converting them to text first is 1) a real pain, 2) slow and 3) can lead
to unexpected loss in precision.

I think binary writes would actually be solved better and safer through
some type of CORBA interface, but previous discussions seemed to
indicate that that is even more of a pain than fixing the current binary
interface.

So I agree that the current version is a problem, but I do think
something needs to be put in place. Not everybody only writes a few
numbers from a web page into the database -- some have masses of data to
dump into a database. For all I care it doesn't even have to look like
SQL, but can be purely accessible through libpq.

Adriaan