Re: beta testing version

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 02:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> PostgreSQL, Inc perhaps has that as a game plan.
> I'm not so much concerned about exactly what PG, Inc is planning to offer
> as a proprietary piece - I'm purist enough that I worry about what this
> signals for their future direction.

Hmm. What has kept replication from happening in the past? It is a big
job and difficult to do correctly. It is entirely my fault that you
haven't seen the demo code released; I've been packaging it to make it a
bit easier to work with.

> If PG, Inc starts doing proprietary chunks, and Great Bridge remains 100%
> dedicated to Open Source, I know who I'll want to succeed and prosper.

Let me be clear: PostgreSQL Inc. is owned and controlled by people who
have lived the Open Source philosophy, which is not typical of most
companies in business today. We are eager to show how this can be done
on a full time basis, not only as an avocation. And we are eager to do
this as part of the community we have helped to build.

As soon as you find a business model which does not require income, let
me know. The .com'ers are trying it at the moment, and there seems to be
a few flaws... ;)

                  - Thomas