Re: Cache look up failure

From: "Joel Burton" <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Najm Hashmi <najm(at)mondo-live(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cache look up failure
Date: 2000-11-30 00:07:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 29 Nov 2000, at 17:56, Najm Hashmi wrote:

> Hi All, I am trying to insert a tuple in the tuple, and i am getting
> the follwoing error message:
>
> fliprdb=# insert into collection(name, artist_id) values('El Baile
> Aleman',2); ERROR: fmgr_info: function 24011: cache lookup failed
>
> Can someone help me out here. Thnaks in advance for your help.
> Najm

Normally, the cache lookup error means you've done something like:

create table
create view on table
drop table
re-create table (perhaps slightly different)
select * from view

since the view calls the table by oid, not by name, it can't find the
original table it uses.

for you, it sounds like

create function
create table-that-uses-function-somehow
drop function
re-create function
insert into table

Are there triggers on your table? Or rules? (Both of these might
refer to functions that might have been changed.) Or, perhaps you
have constraints on your table that call a function that you've re-
created.

If you have a backup of your database (ie pg_dumpall), you can
grep this file for 24011. This should be the original oid of the
function that is lost.

Good luck!

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton(at)scw(dot)org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)