Re: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: John Huttley <John(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..
Date: 2000-11-28 06:29:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > > Maybe asking 'Why isn't the contrib full-text-indexer not in the main
> > > tree?' would be more productive on that front.
> > Well, yes. Why isn't it?

I believe that it is appropriate for contrib/ because it is a good demo
of FTI-like capabilities. But nothing more, yet. For at least a couple
of reasons:

1) It generates the "index" as a table, not a PostgreSQL index or
index-like thing.

2) It has a hardcoded list of non-indexed words. This should come from a
table, to allow it to be tuned to the application requirements.

Comments?

                     - Thomas