Re: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: John Huttley <John(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..
Date: 2000-11-28 02:50:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Huttley wrote:
> > Maybe asking 'Why isn't the contrib full-text-indexer not in the main
> > tree?' would be more productive on that front.

> Well, yes. Why isn't it?

I'm hoping to see the answer to that one myself, as that is outside my
scope currently. I just RPMize things... Although, I didn't intend for
my statement to appear as harsh as it does -- for that I apologize.

> Yes, I have the devel RPM, but FTI couldn't find its include files. Or its
> libraries. Or something.

Makefile.global. Tried it here. The RPMset hasn't heretofore needed
Makefile.global. I may package that, amongst other stuff necessary to
build certain things in the devel package -- once I find out how to go
about doing it.

> Building from a source tree has always been better for me. The catch is mixing
> that with the RPMS,
> which put things in unholy locations.
> Its very hard (for me at least) to update an RPM version with a version compiled
> from the source.

I recommend completely removing the RPM version and installing from
source rather than trying to upgrade from an RPM distribution to the
from-source distribution. Or just install the next RPM version. Let
RPM work the headaches for you. If you want to run from a 'from-source'
build, then nix the RPMset altogether and don't worry about it
afterward.

Although I am going to consider a pre-built set of contribs -- most
notably, geodistance is likely to find its way into an RPM in the
future. I just haven't decided whether to split out to individual
contribs or to just make a single 'postgresql-contrib' subpackage. I'm
open to suggestions.

You can, however, install a source-tree preconfigured and built for the
RPM modifications by installing the _source_ RPM, and then issuing, as
root, 'rpm -bi postgresql.spec' from within the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
dir. You will then have a source tree primed for building whatever in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/postgresql-x.y.z (where x.y.z is the version, of
course). You will need python-devel installed in order to do that,
however.

HTH.
--
Lamar Owen