Re: full text indexing

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: John Huttley <John(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: full text indexing
Date: 2000-11-28 01:21:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
John Huttley wrote:
> Would you please consider bringing the contributed package into the
> official distribution.
> I found that trying to compile it with the RedHat RPM based installation
> was a monumental pain. I gave up.
> Its useful, people ask about it on the list, so why not?

If there's enough demand, I'd consider doing a 'postgresql-fti' RPM as
part of the RPMset -- but, unless there are really good reasons for it
coming out of contrib, it should stay there.

Maybe asking 'Why isn't the contrib full-text-indexer not in the main
tree?' would be more productive on that front.

How did you attempt to build it under the RPM install?  I assume you had
the postgresql-devel package installed, and the include paths set
properly.... Of course, most of what is in contrib assumes a full source
tree is lying around (argh), it's wanting to include in its Makefile.  And, on the RPM dist,
isn't (yet) packaged.
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11