Re: [HACKERS] Indexing for geographic objects?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Franck Martin <Franck(at)sopac(dot)org>
Cc: "'selkovjr(at)mcs(dot)anl(dot)gov'" <selkovjr(at)mcs(dot)anl(dot)gov>, "'pgsql-general '" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-hackers '" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Indexing for geographic objects?
Date: 2000-11-27 11:21:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Franck Martin wrote:

> It seems that your code is exactly what I want.
>
> I have already created geographical objects which contains MBR(Minimum
> Bounding Rectangle) in their structure, so it is a question of rewriting
> your code to change the access to the cube structure to the MBR structure
> inside my geoobject. (cf http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/) Look in the CVS for
> latest. I have been slack lately on the project, but I'm not forgetting it.
>
> Quickly I ran through the code, and I think your cube is strictly speaking a
> box, which also a MBR.
>
> However I didn't see the case of intersection, which is the main question
> when you want to display object that are visible inside a box.
>
> I suppose your code is under GPL, and you have no problem for me to use it,
> providing I put your name and credits somewhere.

It would be much better if it were under the standard PostgreSQL license
and
if it is included in the standard distribution.

As Tom said, working Gist would be a great feature.

Now if only someone would write the regression tests ;)

BTW, the regression tests for pl/pgsql seem to be somewhat sparse as
well,
missing at least some types of loops, possibly more.