Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections

From: Ron Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Alain Toussaint <nailed(at)videotron(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections
Date: 2000-11-27 07:38:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

Don Baccus wrote:
> At 12:07 AM 11/26/00 -0500, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> >how about having a middle man between apache (or aolserver or any other
> >clients...) and PosgreSQL ??
> >that middleman could be configured to have 16 persistant connections,every
> >clients would deal with the middleman instead of going direct to the
> >database,this would be an advantage where multiple PostgreSQL server are
> >used...
> Well, this is sort of what AOLserver does for you without any need for
> middlemen.

What if you have a server farm of 8 AOL servers, and 12 perl clients, and
3 MS Access connections, leaving things open? Is AOLserver parsing the
Perl DBD/DBI, connects, too? So you're using AOLserver as (cough) a
middleman? <g>

> Again, reading stuff like this makes me think "ugh!"
> This stuff is really pretty easy, it's amazing to me that the Apache/db
> world talks about such kludges when they're clearly not necessary.

How does AOL server time out access clients, ODBC connections, Perl
clients? I thought it was mainly web-server stuff.

Apache/PHP isn't the only problem. The problem isn't solved by
telling others to fix their software, either... is this something
that can be done _within_ postmaster?

-Bop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in MacOS land. Your bopping may vary.