NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

From: "Beth K(dot) Gatewood" <bethg(at)mbt(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding
Date: 2000-11-22 18:30:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi-

What does this mean?

% psql template1
NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

I am able to connect, I can create a db and tables but what is this
notice????

I have just upgraded to 7.0.3.

The only other thing I tried to do was run a suite of in house programs
that parse files, create a db and load it with data from the files (and
there were indeed some problems with that including some EOF thing...)

Thanks for the interpretation of this notice

Beth