Weird backup file

From: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, reina(at)nsi(dot)edu
Subject: Weird backup file
Date: 2000-11-17 19:27:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I backed up my database from Postgres 6.5.3 and migrated to 7.0.2
several a few months ago. For some reason, data was lost in the
transition. I've finally pinned it down to the attached file (abridged
to point out the problem).

It looks like two things happened in the backup. First, when I move from
'G' to 'F' in the names column, I seem to lose the column called
'dsp_chan'. Second, the double quotes around the float_4 array called
'spike_hist' aren't included.

I'm not sure if the double quotes are necessary, but the missing column
is probably a problem. I added this column after the database was
created by using 'alter table ellipse_cell_proc add column dsp_chan' and
then put it in the correct position by using:

SELECT  name, arm, rep, cycle, hemisphere, area, cell, dsp_chan,
spike_hist INTO xxx FROM ellipse_cell_proc;
DROP TABLE ellipse_cell_proc;
ALTER TABLE xxx RENAME TO ellipse_cell_proc;

Can anyone explain what went wrong with the backup or where I erred
adding the column?

Thanks.
-Tony