Re: Tool for filling database

From: Serge Canizares <serge(at)ephilosopher(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy(at)kksonline(dot)com>, admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tool for filling database
Date: 2000-11-16 21:07:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:

>Has anybody of users found any tools that could be used for
>filling database with lot of data....I mean with nice interface so that you
>can easily fill different tables....something like Access maybe....but not
>do bg.  . . .

>Yeah a lot of typing....

Well, if you have to do lots of typing anyway, why you don't you stick it into
a text file, say delimited using '|' marks, and then just use the "copy"
command in postgreSQL to populate the table.  Then create indices on the table,
and you are good to go.

That's what I do. (In fact, I write little shell scripts to speed up the
process, and redo the work in case I ever feel like dropping and recreating the
table.  After you write one shell script, modifying it to handle other tables
is easy.)

Moreover the pg manual says it's very fast to use "copy" to populate your
table.

-serge