JDBC-Driver with Weblogic

From: Nils Hartmann <nils(dot)hartmann(at)curry(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC-Driver with Weblogic
Date: 2000-11-13 18:40:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hello,
maybe this post is off topic, than please ignore it....
We have a very special problem here: we're using Weblogic Application
Server (WLS) 5.1 as EJB-Container, and want to use Postgres as database
backend. I have a problem with nearly *all* tested JDBC-Drivers from
different Vendors (including Oracle and Informix): it seems that they
are not able to work with Weblogic when they should write serialized
Java-Objects. According to EJB specification one can have on CMP Beans
attributes that implement java.io.Serializable. Unfortunatly I don't
find a JDBC-Driver that works with that. Now I'm trying Postgres, and I
made a little "hack" to the JDBC driver to get it work: WLS calls the
"setObject" method on PreperedStatement to write serializable objects to
the database. Since the setObject method of PG's JDBC driver tries to
"map" an Object to a postgresql table it fails for unkown types. Now I
modified this method, that it converts this object to byte[] and calls
setBytes. This method seems to work but it is pretty slooooow :(. (Note
good news is, that it actualy works, in opposite to Oracle, Informix,
... :-)
My question is: do you know some better way to store Serializable
objects? Maybe in 7.1? Note: I'have to call the setObject method, since
that is called from WLS.

Thanks for your comments!

nils

--
NILS HARTMANN
CURRY. SMILE @ WORK.

Curry Communication GmbH
Behringstr. 28a
22765 Hamburg

TEL +49.40.398 344 00
FAX  +49.40.398 344 09

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Adam LangDate: 2000-11-13 20:17:16