Re: RPM install weirdness & BugreportPage Bug

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Linden <tom(at)daemon(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPM install weirdness & BugreportPage Bug
Date: 2000-11-02 07:22:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I suggest a little bit more investigation and testing before publishing
> rpm packages, a rpm package must be installable unless it cannot find a
> required package. if this is the case, then this package must be
> available. Any other behavior is just a joke. Sorry about that, just my
> 0.02$.

The stuff installs well for most people (and will get improvements with
helpful reports of troubles).

I recommend trying the new 7.0.2-21 RPMs Lamar Owens just posted on
ftp.postgresql.org. I would also suggest installing all of the packages
you are interested in (which may be all that are available if you will
be doing a variety of things) in the same invocation of rpm so that rpm
can work out the dependencies.

Also, you are certainly "upgrading" from a previous installed version,
rather than "installing" (postgresql-clients has not been part of the
package for quite some time). Since the packages have been rearranged (a
necessary evil to get the packaging right), rpm may not understand how
they match up, and you will do better to *uninstall* the previous
packages before installing the new ones.

Regards.

- Thomas