Re: how good is PostgreSQL

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Arnold Gamboa <arnold(at)php4us(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how good is PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-11-01 00:20:04
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
a) Don't log to a database.  Log data should be sent into a process
   that collects any needed on-the-fly statistics and then outputs
   into disk files (rotating hourly or daily depending on your needs).
   This model is becoming pretty standard with Apache now; look at
   rotatelog in the Apache distribution for an example.

b) Number of records isn't really the issue.  Query complexity and
   number of queries are more pertinent.  Generally, for example, a
   single SELECT that pulls in multiple rows is much faster than
   a bunch of small SELECTs.

c) For very high traffic, you are going to have multiple front-end
   servers.  If you design the system carefully, you can have a single
   shared network disk used by all of your front ends, then just stack
   boxes in front of it.  This doesn't give you endless scalability,
   at some point you'll saturate your network file server and/or

d) PHP may not be a great choice.  It doesn't provide a lot of hooks
   for effective caching of database connections and/or results.
   mod_perl or Java servlets may be better, depending on the details.

				- Tim Kientzle