Re: postgres on redhat 7.0

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Adam Lang <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres on redhat 7.0
Date: 2000-10-31 21:28:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Adam Lang wrote:
> Which leads me to a question. Why do so many people ask the list where the
> most current RPMS for Redhat are located? Not trying to start trouble, but
> doesn't it seem obvious to check the Redhat site? Just wierd that so many
> people ask where to find them...

Well, we maintain RPM's ourselves (or should I say, I maintain RPM's
myself) -- but due to the lack of a RedHat 7 machine for me to build on
(at this time) the best place to get RedHat 7 RPM's is with RedHat 7.

I just announced the newest set -- there will be more announcements
later this week or early next week as I build binaries on other
architectures (I'm even working on building Hercules so I can
build/rebuild for S/390 on my Intel box -- Hercules is an ESA/390
emulator -- slow as Christmas, but will run Linux/390 well enough to
build/rebuild RPM's. My goal is posting working S/390 binaries on
ftp.postgresql.org -- the coolness factor alone is worth the work) and
other distributions (such as TurboLinux, Caldera eServer, and SuSE --
although SuSE has a 7.0.2 RPMset of their own that is substantially
different from ours, even though it is based on ours).

Unless someone want to offer me a shell and build privileges on a
Linux/390 VM on their real S/390 :-).

In fact, I'm requesting that people running something other than RedHat
6.2 on Intel try to --rebuild the src.rpm I just posted so that I can
get binaries for multiple architectures. If you need to patch the spec
file or whatever else to get it to run, send the patches my way so we
can make it just a simple --rebuild for most folks.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio