Re: Re: BIT/BIT VARYING status

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: BIT/BIT VARYING status
Date: 2000-10-31 11:51:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Adriaan Joubert writes:
>
> > > 2. We don't handle <bit string> and <hex string> literals correctly;
> > > the scanner converts them into integers which seems quite at variance
> > > with the spec's semantics.
> >
> > This is still a problem that needs to be fixed.
>
> I have gotten the B'1001'-style syntax to work, but the zpbit_in function
> rejects the input. You need to change the *_in functions to accept input
> in the form of a string of only 1's and 0's. Also, the output functions
> should print 1's and 0's.
>
> I'm somewhat confused about the <hex string>s; according to the standard
> they might also be a BLOB literal. I'd say we get the binary version
> working first, and then wonder about this.

Peter, I think it is a problem if the B or X are dropped from the input,
as that is the only way to determine whether it is a binary or hex
string. Isn't it possible to just remove the quotes, or even do nothing?
The current code expects a string of the form Bxxxxx or Xyyyyy. If the
quotes are left in, I can easily modify the code, but guessing whether
the string 1001 is hex or binary is an issue, and I seem to recall that
the SQL standard requires both to be valid input.

Also, on output, shouldn't we poduce B'xxxx' and X'yyyyy' to conform
with the input strings?

Adriaan