Re: Updating multiple bool values crashes backend

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)ncl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updating multiple bool values crashes backend
Date: 2000-10-25 13:53:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Here is a debug (level 2) output - does this help any
> more?... If not, what should I provide for you in terms of
> debugging?...

Hmm. I didn't find the update/select combination you specified in your
problem statement in your debugging output, but it wouldn't have likely
helped anyway.

Your initial problem statement was of the form "if you do this, then if
you do that, you will get a server crash". That problem statement is
simple and testable, *if* it were accompanied by a reproducible example.

We are not likely to be able to help track down a problem if we can not
reproduce it. So I would suggest the following:

1) dump your database using pg_dump or pg_dumpall.

2) reload your database using the dump from (1).

3) show that the problem is reproducible for you.

4) distill the scenerio down to the fundamental elements, if possible.

5) file a problem report, and be ready to send an example including
schema and data.

The problem for us is that your problem statement is not reproducible
here. So you will need to show how *you* can reproduce it using fresh
data for us to be able to help. There are other causes of database
failure (e.g. bad server memory) which we have no control over and which
are less likely to be a problem if you can get a reproducible case.

Just remember that "reproducible" doesn't necessarily mean that you can
get it to happen more than once on the same database. Ideally it means
that you can create a new database and demonstrate the same problem.

Hope this helps.

- Thomas