Re: Two-phase commit

From: devik(at)cdi(dot)cz
To: richard excite <richard_excite(at)excite(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two-phase commit
Date: 2000-10-25 08:12:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hello,
I'm not sure what will your lib solve ? For reliable
distributed TX, each SQL server have to support two
phase commit. It means to have at least PREPARE command
which is identical to COMMIT only doesn't really commit
(last commit bit is not written but TX is at commit edge
and can't complain to COMMIT cmd).
Also is should provide interface/way for querying state
of particular TX (identified by XID) and if it is in
PREPARED state then way to commit/rollback it: it is
for cases when connection between PG and XA manager
terminates between PREPARE and COMMIT/ABORT. PG then
also should continue to hold all "locks" (or
HEAP_MARKED_FOR_UPDATE in PG) until PREPARED TX is
resolved.
Probably it should not be hard .. ?
devik