Re: pgAgent STDERR and Time Zone Questions

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAgent STDERR and Time Zone Questions
Date: 2012-01-10 22:48:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:08 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

>> OK, well I won't try to get you debugging wxWidgets code in GDB as
>> that's just painful, so please build from source having applied the
>> attached patch and then test your jobs with the log level set to DEBUG
>> and capture the output so we can compare it with what ends up in the
>> pga_jobsteplog table. Don't throw away the build env when you're done
>> - we may need to do some more debugging later.
>>
>> Note that the patch was written against GIT master.
>
> Thanks. This will probably have to wait until next week, as I’m a bit stretched between family, travel, and $work.

Finally got back to this. Naturally, the car works perfectly when it’s in the shop.

I installed the pgrpms version of pgAgent, which Devrim uploaded a few weeks ago.

http://yum.pgrpms.org/9.1/redhat/rhel-5-i386/pgagent_91-3.0.1-1.rhel5.i386.rpm

With that, I can create a job with a single batch step. All it does is this:

perl -e 'die "WTF"'

That results in:

postgres=# select * from pgagent.pga_jobsteplog where jslid = 8;
-[ RECORD 1 ]-----------------------------
jslid | 8
jsljlgid | 8
jsljstid | 1
jslstatus | f
jslresult | -1
jslstart | 2012-01-10 14:28:26.95867-08
jslduration | 00:00:00.011809
jsloutput |

Which seems fine. Then, with the patched version from SVN, I fire it up and run the same job and get:

postgres=# select * from pgagent.pga_jobsteplog where jslid = 9;
-[ RECORD 1 ]------------------------------
jslid | 9
jsljlgid | 9
jsljstid | 1
jslstatus | f
jslresult | 255
jslstart | 2012-01-10 14:34:05.243314-08
jslduration | 00:00:00.008179
jsloutput |

Which is different, but at least still a failure. (Nothing was logged; I ran it with `/usr/bin/pgagent -s /home/dwheeler/pgagent.log -l DEBUG hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=postgres user=postgres`.)

Going back to the box that originally had this problem, which also uses Devrim’s RPM, I created a new test job with exactly the same step as above. There I get:

postgres=# select * from pgagent.pga_jobsteplog where jsljlgid = 155;
-[ RECORD 1 ]------------------------------
jslid | 177
jsljlgid | 155
jsljstid | 21
jslstatus | s
jslresult | 5
jslstart | 2012-01-10 22:18:42.995252+00
jslduration | 00:00:00.013335

Which just seems wrong. Both boxes are running CentOS 5.5 (Linux 2.6.18-194.el5). Might there be a difference in the version of Wx installed or something to account for this?

Thanks,

David