pgsql install help

From: Designer <wireless(at)tampabay(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql install help
Date: 2000-10-17 19:05:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I am having some difficulty performing the "short install" on RHL 6.1

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test

CAUSES THIS ERROR:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql: error in loading shared libraries:
libpq.so.2.1: cann
ot open shared object file: No such file or directory
createdb: database creation failed
[1]+ Exit 1 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsq
l/data >logfile 2>&1

??????????????

Now from the instruction(which are entered here verbosely from the
INSTALL file:

1. Create the PostgreSQL superuser account. This is the user the server

will run as. For production use you should create a separate,
unprivileged account (postgres is commonly used). If you do not
have
root access or just want to play around, your own user account is
enough.

NOW I'm familiar with THE 'root' account, user accounts and group
accounts,
but I've never seen an 'application superuser account'?????????

sudo or something like that?????????

Also, I had to run the installation as 'root' as users do not
have priviledges to write to the /usr/local/ directories, so the
aforementioned warning about the server running as the user
account, are somewhat confusing to me

I'm experimenting on RedHat Linux 6.1

Apache(1.3.12), DBI(1.14) and DBD-Pg(0.95) and Perl(5.005_03)
are all installed have passed several tests. All these
packages are installed from source, all RPMs have been
uninstalled.

:

Also I have attached file on the results of following the short method
for installation.

Any help is appreciated, and If upgrading to RHL 7.0 is the answer, that
OK too.

Attachment Content-Type Size
log.install text/plain 2.9 KB