Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables
Date: 2000-10-16 15:17:40
Lists: pgsql-sql
Mr. Majumdar,

> Sorry for splitting mails. Is there some way of using the oid of each
> row to do the mapping instead of creating two more columns of integers?
> The third table can then be like this:
>
> create table T3(
>         T1      oid,
>         T2      oid
> );

Please reference two things:

1. Look in the list archives for the last 4 weeks and you will read a
long discussion on the risks/limitations of using an OID as the primary
key on very large tables. (Subject: Object-Relational Database Design).

2. For how to use OIDs, please look in Bruce Momjian's excellent PGSQL
book-in-progress, available on the Postgresql.org website. (Chapter 7, I
believe).

					-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
   for law firms, small businesses       fax  436-0137
    and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078
                        		San Francisco