Re: Variable-length Types

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Variable-length Types
Date: 2000-10-15 20:36:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom,

> However, building a new type for this seems like overkill, because you'd
> also have to supply a set of functions and operators for the type. It
> would be a lot less work just to provide a normalization function
> interpret_phone_no(text) returns text
> which could be invoked explicitly, eg
> insert into tab values (..., interpret_phone_no('5551212'), ...)
> or implicitly in ON INSERT and ON UPDATE triggers for the table.

Thanks. You're probably right ... reformatting the phone numbers is
going to be a lot less work than a custom type. Still, I can see the
usefulness of a custom type if one had the time to build the new library
of operators etc. For example, a special set of comparison operators for
phone numbers. Maybe I'll hire somebody to do it :-)

I do think I'll use triggers for ON INSERT and ON UPDATE, because it
will space me having to remember to use the function every time I handle
a phone number field. I'll post the PLSQL function after I've written
it.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 436-9166
for law firms, small businesses fax 436-0137
and non-profit organizations. pager 338-4078
San Francisco