Re: New unified regression test driver

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New unified regression test driver
Date: 2000-09-29 17:37:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I've committed the announced unified regression test driver. (See Sep.20
> message for list of features.) You can invoke it via `make check', either
> in the top level directory, or directly in src/test/regress. To test
> against a running installation, use `make installcheck'.

First, Peter, thanks a million for all the work you've done on
PostgreSQL.

That said, I have a request -- since the binary distributions might
possibly be installed on machines with no make and no compiler, I would
like to see the regression tests be reduced to a simple script and
driver that could be simply invoked with no need for make. Binary-only
users might want to regress a little, too.

Up until RH7, the postgresql-test RPM as shipped had a halfway built
regression test suite, and the finishing touch was supplied by the user
at run time who invoked regress.sh directly with the appropriate
arguments. However, this didn't allow the user to run the parallel
regression suite.

People are running PostgreSQL every day on machines with no compiler and
no source code -- they need a regression suite, too.

Of course, I can always work around the issue, as I have in the past....

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio