Re: trigger to run external script

From: Joel Mc Graw <joel(at)mcgraw-quinteros(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trigger to run external script
Date: 2000-09-27 02:25:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
Thomas Good wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Chau, Artemis wrote:
>
> > All,
> > I want to have a trigger for a table that whenever a new record is created
> > to run an external shell script on Unix.
> > Any suggestion?
> >
> > -- Artemis
>
> Artemis - what is it you want the script to do?  I do this - but my
> IF is perl.  When the user INSERTs INTO a table (without error)
> my script generates email to any interested parties.  If the user
> makes an error my script dumps detailed info (including username)
> into a log file.
>
> If you want to do something similar, it is relatively easy via
> shell script or perl...presumably in any interface really.
> So the issue is only: do your users enter data from a psql sh prompt
> or from an IF?  If they use psql then you could define a trigger that
> makes an entry into a second table...

Hmmm... I also would be interested in having a trigger run a shell or
python script, but didn't really see anything in the documentation that
indicated how to go about this.  I would appreciate any pointers on
where to go for more info.

Basically, I run a dialup server which logs uploads to a PostGres
table.  I would like the logging of an upload "trigger" an external
program that further processes the uploaded file based on the uploader
information.

TIA