Re: "Pre-7" odbc extension files

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Pre-7" odbc extension files
Date: 2000-09-22 14:01:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Is there a compelling reason to continue to ship a "pre-7" version of the
> ODBC catalog extension in contrib/odbc?

Sounds OK. This was desirable for the 7.0 release (to allow a pre-7.0
backend to work with newer clients via ODBC), but the backward
compatibility issue should be less now that folks have had time to do a
transition.

> If not, could we not instead move the odbc.sql file into interfaces/odbc
> and install it with the odbc driver? ("install" here refers to installing
> into the file system, not into the database system) That would also make
> things easier for users of binary packages.

Or should we think about how to make a full-up "package", which can be
installed, uninstalled, etc etc. A problem with burying it down into the
main odbc area is that it may be unclear that it is an optional addition
to the ODBC capabilities that needs to be installed into template1 or
into a specific database.

                      - Thomas