Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-05-31 22:38:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 31, 2008, at 15:32, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>> 1. Most people have no idea how to set these.
>
> Could you clarify this? I can't really believe that people are
> incapable of
> editing a configuration file.

I've been using PostgreSQL on and off, mostly on, for almost 10 years.
I still have no idea what 75% of those settings in postgresql.conf
mean or are for. There are an overwhelming number of them. I know that
5-8 of them I always touch, thanks largely to assistance now and then
from Josh Berkus, but the rest are just complexity to me. I don't
doubt that the vast majority of them are useful in one situation or
another, but unless I'm in one of those situations, I really don't
need to see them there and be confused by them.

Does that help?

>> 2. The current postgresql.conf file is a huge mess of 194 options,
>> the
>> vast majority of which most users will never touch.
>
> My opinion has always been that we should provide a default file
> with only the
> essential options instead of all of them. I see this as a the major
> problem,
> because people are overwhelmed and consequently don't set anything.

+1

Best,

David