Psql or test application hangs when interface is down for the DB server

From: "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Psql or test application hangs when interface is down for the DB server
Date: 2008-07-15 13:54:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi,

Environment used:
  Postgres 8.3.1
  psqlODBC 08.03.0200

Testcase:
In the postgres database there is table 'COUNTER_TABLE' with column
integer type 'COUNTER'. The test application attached in this mail, will
start a transaction, gets the current value in the COUNTER, increments
the value and updates the incremented value into the COUNTER column.
This is being done in a loop. The program is started in a remote client
and after few transactions, the interface between the client & the
database server is brought down (example I used "ifconfig eth0 down" in
the server). With this the test application hangs and does not return
from the API of postgres (ex. 'PQexec').

 <<pg_test_app.cpp>>
In another example, run the psql from the remote client and connect to
the database server. Execute the SQL to update the COUNTER_TABLE. After
successful execution, next bring the network interface down on the
database server (Ex. I use the command "ifconfig eth0 down") and next
execute the SQL command to update the COUNTER_TABLE again from the same
remote client and the same DB session. The SQL command hangs.

regards,
Niranjan

pgsql-bugs by date