Re: need asap: bg_BG locale for FreeBSD

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: need asap: bg_BG locale for FreeBSD
Date: 2000-09-11 13:51:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to Bulgaria this week to setup FreeBSD server running
> postgres and would like to know if somebody has an experience
> with postgres and bulgarian locale. Actually, I need
> bg_BG locale for FreeBSD. interesting that searching for
> subject in internet doesn't provide any information.
> The only thing I found is bg_BG locale for Linux (Redhat)

I created a Swedish LC_COLLATE locale part for FreeBSD a while
back, with the specific purpose of using it with PostgreSQL,
and it was not very hard.

For sorting stuff:
Check /usr/src/share/colldef (the sorting algoritm is defined
by LC_COLLATE). I don't anything about bulgarian, though. Is it
using cyrillic characters? Try using one of the russion locales
to start with.

For character representation (LC_CTYPE), I have no experience,
but it should also be fairly easy. Maybe Bulgarian uses a
similar character set to for example Russian? You will only
need a character locale for each Check /usr/src/share/mklocale

For a complete locale, you would also need timedef
(/usr/src/share/timedef).

colldef(1) is man page to check for sorting (collate)...

mklocale(1) is for locale creation.

Good luck!
Palle