Re: Patch for TNS services

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Postgres Hacker Lister <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for TNS services
Date: 2000-08-31 05:32:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Last week I created a patch for the Postgres client side libraries to allow
> > something like a (not so mighty) form of Oracle TNS, but nobody showed any
> > interest.

Perhaps it would be helpful to describe TNS: what it does, and what it
is good for. You posted your notice out of the blue, and for those of us
who didn't take the time to research what the heck you were talking
about, there wasn't much point in responding.

There are lots of good ideas floating around out there, and it is a
shame, but true anyway, that it takes most of us a while to warm up to a
new idea or proposal. Thanks for posting a followup message, and it
would be good to hear more about your proposal. I'm sure if it is a
useful feature that it will be of interest in the long run...

Regards.

- Thomas