Re: new in list

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: new in list
Date: 2000-08-30 04:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi, I'm new on this list and would like to develop and play around a bit with
> the postgres source.

Welcome!

> I would like to know where to go (besides the source) to get started.

There are html and hardcopy docs. There are README files scattered
throughout the source tree, which should help introduce you to each of
the pieces. There are the mailing list archives (look at the last month
or so). And of course there is the hackers mailing list, which you have
already found. Having a good SQL book handy can't hurt.

> What are the features that are been added to future realeses?

Each contributor has his own interests and emphasis. And it isn't
possible to predict with certainty what features may appear (you may
decide to contribute something we haven't even thought of!). But
certainly the following themes are likely to see some attention:

o outer joins, perhaps requiring a redesigned query tree
o SQL99 "schemas"
o a redesigned query tree, to make some operations easier to represent
o WAL, which will speed up queries and recoveries
o memory management (already improved, but always a candidate for more)
o distributed databases
o CORBA, XML, SOAP, ??
o applications

- Thomas