Re: [7.0.2] rotating log files ...

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [7.0.2] rotating log files ...
Date: 2000-08-28 23:36:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Apart from using syslog, which apparently work fine (?) with
7.0.2, the 'rotatelogs' utility from apache's support dir is
great (No need to hack one up, as Alfred Perlstein suggest;
this babe been around and is quite stable).

Of course, you need to stop the server once, but I guess other
ways have been thouroughly dicussed in already :)

Enclosed is a Bournce shell script showing how I start postgres
on developers' machines [debug on] (run as root, will su pgsql)

On syslog... is syslog support reliable now? If so,
admin/pg-options.htm should be updated:

...Unfortunately many functions call directly printf() to print
their messages to stdout or stderr and this output can't be
redirected to syslog or have timestamps in it....

Cheers,
Palle

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> can someone recommend on how to rotate the following log files without
> having to stop/start the server?
> suggestions?
>
> Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org secondary: scrappy(at){freebsd|postgresql}.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
010.pgsql.sh application/x-sh 1.0 KB