Using index from sub-query

From: pdaly <petedaly(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using index from sub-query
Date: 2000-08-28 15:24:58
Lists: pgsql-general

As has been talked about recently, I have a int8 field, which when searched for
as 'value' will use the index, but as value, with the quotes will not.

I subquery to get a list of the values to look up:

SELECT [fields]
FROM table1
WHERE id in (
select distinct id from namelookup where name = '$tname'
)

When I do an explain on this, it is doing a table scan, and not using the index
table1. It will only use the index when the value to be matched is in quotes.
How can I force it to use the index, or create a new index which would be used.

This causes a HUGE performance hit. (30-45 seconds, as opposed to less than 1
second.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Pete