Re: Man page sections

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Man page sections
Date: 2000-08-20 04:34:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > 7 sounds good.
> isn't there a doc on what each section is "meant for"? for instance,
> section 3 is generally where you find language man pages (ie. getopt(),
> printf()) ...

Right. We currently generate man pages for section one (1) for our
"programs" (e.g. createdb, psql) and man pages for section ell (l) for
our SQL language features (the ell section was chosen for historical
reasons; don't know if anyone here knows why but it was what was used
for the original man pages).

I don't think that we have interpreted section 3 as "language"; I think
it is intended for API/interface docs, which btw we do not have in
reference/man pages.

afaik section seven (7) would be most appropriate for SQL language
features.

- Thomas