Re: ODBC Example with VB5?

From: Robert Rothe <rrothe(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Sean Alphonse <salphonse1(at)home(dot)com>, pgint <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Example with VB5?
Date: 2000-08-18 00:49:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Well, it appears that updating the MDAC was a big part of the problem. Thanks
to everyone who provided suggestions.

I did get everything to work under VB5. For those interested, here is the
simple code used to test. In VB, create one form with one list box "List1".
The following code goes into the form's load event. There is no need to setup
a DSN using this method, although you can by specifying "DSN","USER","PWD" on
the conn1.open line.

Private Sub Form_Load()

Dim conn1 As New ADODB.Connection
Dim cmd1 As New ADODB.Command
Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim AccessConnect As String

AccessConnect =
"driver={PostgreSQL};server=192.168.1.59;database=testdata;uid=youruser;pwd=;"
conn1.ConnectionString = AccessConnect
conn1.Open

cmd1.ActiveConnection = conn1
cmd1.CommandText = "Select * from users order by userid"
Set rs = cmd1.Execute

While Not rs.EOF

' Null fields cause this to crash and burn, so use some logic...

List1.AddItem rs("userid") + rs("lastn")
rs.MoveNext
Wend

'If you have unique keys, this will obviously only work once

cmd1.CommandText = "insert into users (userid,password,lastn) values
('xxxxxxx1','xxxxxxx2','Lastxxx')"
cmd1.Execute

End Sub