Re: configure.in / xml / quoting trouble

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Patrick Welche <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: configure.in / xml / quoting trouble
Date: 2007-07-20 13:37:15
Lists: pgsql-patches
> Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2007 13:28 schrieb Patrick Welche:
>> Also, why did postgresql choose not to use automake?

> The was never such a choice made.

According to the archives, it was brought up a couple times around the
1999-2000 time frame, but no one ever made a case that it'd be worth the
pain of changing over.  At the time, we had subprojects in the tree with
their own configure/build systems (odbc, libpqxx) and I think
automake-ification was considered a way to try to clean that situation
up.  But now it's been resolved by kicking the subprojects out again,
and so I don't really see that automake has much to offer us.