Re: LIKE/ESCAPE implementation

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LIKE/ESCAPE implementation
Date: 2000-08-06 04:51:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I had thought it would be trivial to do ILIKE, but now I'm not sure how
> > to handle the multi-byte case. It isn't sufficient to wrap the
> > single-byte comparison arguments with tolower() is it??
> I'd be inclined to force both strings to lower case as a whole and
> then apply normal LIKE. Comments anyone?

OK. "Both strings to lower case as a whole" doesn't seem to be something
which is multibyte-enabled in our code. Am I just missing seeing some
features? istm that lots of our code falls over on MB strings...

> I do not recall seeing a complete proposal, but wasn't someone just
> opining that Oracle has such a feature? If so, borrowing their spec
> seems the thing to do.

Anyone have suggestions for a reference? Altavista on "+ilike +oracle"
doesn't seem to do it.

- Thomas