Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, tgl <Thomas(dot)G(dot)Lockhart(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5
Date: 2000-07-26 04:02:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This is an alpha version of NetBSD 1.5.
> System is a fairly stock PowerMac 7500 with a 604 CPU upgrade,
> original disk drive. The Perl is from the NetBSD package system,
> version 5.004_04. egcs-1.1.2 (as modified by BSD).
> postgresql 7.0.2
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with perl --with-x
> First problem: ODBC doesn't compile. |-(

What is the symptom?

> Second problem: with elf binaries the location of shared libraries
> is supposed to be compiled in so each program can reference its own
> set of shared objects without conflict. This doesn't seem to jibe
> with how the build/install makefiles do things. I get missing shared
> libraries when I try to access the DB as a normal user, and the
> mechanism I would have used to fix this on an xcoff system is
> deleted, or at least deprecated, on an elf system.

There was some discussion recently about whether -rpath is A Good Thing,
with Debian voting that it is One Step From Hell. I've always just
modified my ld.config and/or my LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment to get to
the libraries.

Either of these should solve your regression test problem.

> Third problem: well actually the regression tests seem to work, mostly. ;-)
> If Tom L. wants to beat on this I can give him an account on the
> machine. I've used up the time I have to devote to it. I'm pretty
> much stuck with 6.4.0 on Solaris 2.5 for real work.

Well, 7.0.x *will* run on Solaris, but afaik it should do fine on your
NetBSD box too. Try the above fixups and let me know if you need more.

- Thomas