Re: An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.

From: Altaf Malik <mmalik_altaf(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.
Date: 2008-01-07 17:40:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
This is because when your database is down, all the 'connected' instances of Connection become invalid. Since pooled connection is created once, it should be restarted on each database restart. This is possible either by restarting the JBoss, or restarting the Datasource in jboss by the using JMX console.

  You'll have to do something. It'll not re-connect automatically.
  Altaf Malik
Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za> wrote:
  Hi all,

I'm using jboss 4.0.2 and j2sdk version 1.5.0_11-b03
connecting to postgresql 8.1.4 using the jdbc3 postgres

I'm using the Connection pool manager of JBoss to control
the connections to the database. When I restart postgres
without restarting JBoss as well, I get this error reported in JBoss :
An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.

The problem is that JBoss never recovers from this , and it's only fixed
when I restart JBoss. I can understand that this error may happen
occasionally, but I need to be able to recover from this situation
without restarting JBoss.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Kind Regards