Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date: 2001-03-06 03:17:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> If you think it's easy enough, enlighten the rest of us ;-).

> If postgres reported PGDATA on the command line it would be easy enough.

In ps status you mean?  I don't think we are prepared to require ps
status functionality to let the system start up... we'd lose a number
of supported platforms that way.

>> I think refusal to start is sufficient.  They should go away by
>> themselves as their clients disconnect, and forcing the issue doesn't

> ???? I have misunderstood your previous statement about not wanting to
> force a manual crash recovery, then.

In the case of an actual crash and restart, postgres should come back up
without help.  However, the situation here is not a crash, it is
incomplete admin intervention.  I don't think that expecting the admin
to complete his intervention is the same thing as manual crash recovery.
I especially don't think that we should second-guess what the admin
wants us to do by auto-killing backends that are still serving clients.