Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings
Date: 2010-01-30 16:16:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com> writes:
> Peter Eisentraut escreveu:
>> Maybe the next step should be to leave standard_conforming_strings off
>> but make the warning an error.
>>
> It will break application in the same way as enabling the parameter. Besides
> that the parameter should be renamed to escape_string_*error* to reflect the
> fact that it doesn't emit an error anymore. I don't think it is a good idea.

Yeah, I agree. Such a change wouldn't do anything to help with testing
of the standard_conforming_strings = on case. What it would do is
render the s_c_s = off case entirely useless, unless one also disabled
the error, which pretty much every single user would immediately do.
We might as well just flip the s_c_s setting. People who don't want to
be bothered will still undo the setting change, but at least then our
default behavior is more standard rather than even less so.