8.4 path to repair_frag()?

From: Tom Lanyon <tom+pgsql-hackers(at)oneshoeco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 8.4 path to repair_frag()?
Date: 2012-04-18 15:44:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

To satisfy my own curiosity, I was trying to find where 8.4 kicks into a backwards scan of the data file during (auto-)vacuuming.

This appears to be repair_frag() in backend/commands/vacuum.c, but only appears to be called by a FULL vacuum. Autovacuum, however, appears to explicitly only ever call a not-FULL vacuum, so I'm trying to see where and how it would be possible for autovacuum to trigger this operation. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Tom