Re: odbc, postgresql and cobalt Qube/RaQ3

From: Allan Kelly <allan(dot)kelly(at)buildstore(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>, PosrgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: odbc, postgresql and cobalt Qube/RaQ3
Date: 2000-07-11 14:41:17
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Peter Mount wrote:

> I've been trying to get StarOffice working with PostgreSQL via JDBC, but so
> far I haven't had much joy (problem is getting the driver to load). I'm not
> sure about ODBC however.
>
> Apart from that, how is postgresql running on the Cobalt? I'm streamlining
> my home connection, and I may have the chance of getting a Cobalt RAQ3 to
> use as my web server instead of my ISP (works out about the same price), so
> I'd be interested in hearing how things go with them.
>
> Peter

I had an issue with StarOffice on Windows98: I could only get the first 50 rows
of the tables. This could be a driver/settings issue, but I doubt it as Excel
works perfectly. Hence, we are still using Excel company-wide =(. Expensive.

As for the Cobalt machines, I can't see a problem. I run all our offices through
Qubes for internet access, and the main issue is raw speed: the Qube with 16Mb
memory is pushed with it's 166 Mb processor. However, it compiled and happily
runs squid, vim, and everything else which does not need X libs. postgres should
be fine, after all it's just a fancy disk access tool and samba runs very well
;)

al.

--

# Allan Kelly http://www.plotsearch.co.uk