curious memory leak

From: tim(dot)brookes(at)cwcom(dot)net
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: curious memory leak
Date: 2000-07-07 19:54:18
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I recently had problems with memory leaks when connecting to a postgres backend.
The application and the backend both eat memory.

Tom Lane help me with this problem and he found geprotobyname to be the problem
as the leak only seemed to be a problem when connecting over a tcp/ip connection.

However here are my new findings using v7.02

void callproc(){
PgDatabase* loStatsdb;

loStatsdb = new PgDatabase("")
delete loStatsdb;

};

main(){
while(1){
callproc();
};
};

database name is set as environment variable.

Starting the postmaster either with or without -i to enable tcp/ip connections
and running this code both locally and over tcp/ip the postmaster backend leaks
memory.

The application now remains stable and has no memory leak.

Rgds
Tim Brookes